I know it’s been a long time since I last put up an update, there’s a bunch of reasons but mainly it’s been because I’ve thought the greenlight build was right around the corner for so long but things that needed doing just kept popping up.
So what have I been doing on Alaska?
Well the main thing I wanted to do before getting the greenlight demo ready was swap in the final characters to replace the dodgy placeholders I’ve been using. To do that I had a lot of work to do but I didn’t realise it. Basically I wanted to be able to use one skeleton and set of animations to control all the character but the characters come from the software I’m using pre weighted to their own skeleton, I spent a long time trying to set up an animation retargeting solution in blender failing, I still feel like it should be possible but I just don’t know how, so I resorted to animating a master skeleton and then for each model moving the master skeletons bind pose to match the models skeleton and then swapping them over, it works fine but it’s laborious. Then I had the issue that the skeletons for the new models are 2 orders of magnitude larger than I need them to be and blender has no way to bake the scaling of them without warping the animations which meant I had to extend my model loader to take in the master transform and bake it into the model at load time, this is working now but I’ve still got a few issues i need to resolve before I can roll it out to all the characters, mainly the walk animation moves the character (rather than letting me move them while the animation plays in place).
After that I’ve got a couple of content & prop passes on the parts of the map accessible in the demo, to get them to a releasable level of quality & block off the rest of the map, after that I’ll release the greenlight build and start working on the trailer for the greenlight campaign which is by all accounts the most important part.
I was targeting this summer for the greenlight campaign but it looks like it’s going to slip to the end of the year.